Registering Your RV

Registering your RV or motor home in South Carolina is the same process as registering a vehicle. Inspections are not required for RVs or motor homes, and you may register by mail. You will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Completed Registration Application Form 400.
  • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, or the original title signed over to you.
  • Receipt for your paid property taxes. The state of South Carolina requires you to pay the taxes on your vehicle before you register it.
  • Bill of Sale. The state of South Carolina requires an original document that you must pick up at your local Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Your out-of-state title and registration if you are moving to South Carolina.
  • Proof of insurance. The state of South Carolina requires all vehicles to be covered with a minimum of liability insurance.
  • Lien information. If your RV or motor home was purchased by loan, you will need to provide the name and address of the company or person carrying the loan.

The state of South Carolina charges a tax for all newly purchased vehicles, which is 5% of the purchase price. $300 Maximum.

Registration Renewal
Renewing the registration of an RV or motor home is the same as renewing any other kind of vehicle.

If you plan to operate a motor home that weighs more than 26,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, you must obtain a Class E license. If you operate a motor home than weighs more than 26,000 lbs. and tow a trailer or other vehicle, you must have a Class F license. You may take the Class E and Class F knowledge tests at any SC DMV field office. Due to the space required for a Class E or F skills test, these tests must be taken at one of the 36 SC DMV field offices that offer commercial driver license testing.

During the basic skills portion of the Class F test, motor home operators will be allowed to disconnect the towed vehicle. However, the towed vehicle must be reconnected for the road test portion of the skills test.

For more information about Class E and F driver licenses, visit

For additional information, contact your local DMV.